I love coming home after a long week of work and find a movie (or two!) to watch. What I usually don’t tell anyone is that the reason for it is that it’s my prime-time for cheating. I cheat on my diet. There it is. I said it. This article is about how I cheat with homemade guilt-free low carb cheese chips.
I am not a pro in planning, so sometimes I haven’t prepared any ideas, any products for when I come home. Sometimes I just can’t be asked. Sounds relatable?
Then there are times when my craving-monster demands very simple things, like chips and coke. Nothing bad about that either, in my opinion.
I enjoy watching same movies over and over while eating some decent food that improves the whole experience. And as of yesterday, I have revealed to myself the wonder of Cheese Chips. No, not the ones you can buy at your local store. I am talking proper homemade chips that can be tailored for every taste (further about it in detail). Finally, I have a snack I am going to eat over and over again.
Why Do I love low carb cheese chips?
What’s there not to love? Let’s break it down:
- Quick – one batch takes ~13 minutes in a convection oven and 2(!)minutes in a microwave oven
- Cheese – huge factor for all those cheese-o-maniacs out there
- Easy – you don’t even have to grate the cheese if you buy it in slices
- Tasty – see point 2. But seriously, I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t love these.
- Variability – endless variations – combine different cheeses, add this and that and mix it up!
That’s not all. If you are on a ketogenic diet, then going low carb is the only way. Most snacks, sweet and salty contain a lot of carbohydrates. These cheese chips are quite the opposite.
How do I go about making cheese chips?
I follow an example found on Reddit. But I assume you can use any other recipe/guide to making low carb cheese chips or any cheese chips for that matter since the only difference is in the cheese itself. Making cheese chips from low carb cheese (yes, there are different types!) will get you low carb cheese chips. Pretty straightforward, you can’t go wrong with this.
- Borrow a silicone mold from a neighbor or buy one on Amazon. Consider getting one you will be able to repurpose for cupcakes or anything else. In my experience, silicone molds are superior to muffin tins. Be sure that your silicone mold fits the oven of your choice!
- Cheese. Start off with your favorite and after that the possibilities are endless.
- Grate it or cut it. Try crisps made out of pure cheese, then add some seasoning, spices, herbs etc. Don’t limit yourself!
- Preheat the convection oven to 350F. If you intend to use a microwave oven, then set it to Max.
- Place the mold inside to cook for~13 minutes in the oven or ~2min in the microwave. Keep an eye on them. They must be totally melted and even be bubbling.
- Take the mold out and let them cool. Take the ready cheese chips out in a bowl.
- Repeat the process until you are out of cheese! 🙂
I hope you enjoyed this short introduction to my cheating habits. There is more to come, so be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
If you have something to say, I will be glad to reply to the comments below.
If you believe, someone could benefit from this simple explanation how to make low carb cheese chips from the comfort of your home, then spread the word.